Friday, December 03, 2010

smarter than you think...

I'm guessing every parent has these moments. The moments when you figure out your kid is catching on faster than you gave them credit for. There are also the moments you find your child is craftier and more clever than previously thought. This happens more than I'd like to admit in our house.

Today was such a day. Josephine has one of those toys with 4 animals under flippy doors and you have to push a button or turn a key to get the animal to pop out of its door. This is the first toy like this that I've seen that makes sounds and plays music when the animals pop out. Our toy is from a garage sale, and I've noticed that it's kind of finicky when it comes to playing the music; lately it hasn't really felt like it. Josephine has apparently noticed this as well, because today when she was playing with it, she brought it over to me and started trying to turn it over. I couldn't quite figure out what she was up to, but I helped her turn it upside down, and she proceeded to point to the battery door on the bottom of the toy. I'm guessing somewhere along the line she's seen me put new batteries into something, but the fact that she knew where they go, and why they go into her toy absolutely floored me.

Not too long after that, she brought her snow boots over to me to help her put them on. Just the other day she was tromping thru the house in her rain boots, so I thought she just wanted to play in them. As soon as they were on, she pointed out the window and said "outside!" I totally fell for it, and rewarded her clever cuteness with a (short!) trip outside into the mid-teens temperatures.

Just to make sure her big sister didn't get all the good stories in today, my heart melted this afternoon to hear Naomi's very first giggle!

No comments: