Thursday, July 03, 2008

In Other News...

Lest anyone think this baby stuff takes up ALL my time (just a lot of it sometimes, especially in my head), there are actually plenty of things going on in general, and since I'm posting sort of regularly, I might as well throw that in too.

So, if you've come over to our house in the last few weeks you've probably gotten the tour of our basement; when we bought the house about half of the basement was unfinished, and we're now turning that into a bedroom, bathroom and a small office/storage space. It's very cool coming home every day and seeing something new, it's super cool now that it's getting very close to being done. The sheetrock is up, the tile is in the bathroom, the tub/shower is all set, we're going to paint this weekend so that Jon (Brenne) can put the finishing touches on it all next week. Then maybe I can get rid of the ever thickening layer of dust that has shown up all over the house. The timing was so we could get it done and hopefully paid off before a baby comes and add value to our house which will come in handy since the housing market isn't really helping in that regard, and it'd be nice to refinance our mortgage one day.

Mmmm, what else? Also if you've come over lately, you'll have seen my ill-advised attempt at landscaping. I was trimming the bushes that sort of define part of our back yard, and noticed that there were a LOT of dead branches in each bush. So I started kind of yanking and pulling to see if I could get just those branches out. Most of them came up with no fight, sometimes bringing chunks of the bush with them. One whole bush came up, roots and all. That sort of gave me the idea that I should take up the whole bunch. We had mentioned it a couple times since last summer, we don't particularly like them, and they're pretty much the worst part of mowing the lawn. The only reason I've kept up with this idea is because I can do it myself. And because I ended up making a couple of gaping holes in the line of them that just looks kind of awful. The bushes in general are so dead that the biggest sections of roots kind of just crumble apart in places, which makes it pretty easy to cut them out with a shovel and pull them up. I'm about a third of the way through, and I'd like to make sure this is done by winter this year. I'd say I have plenty of time, but that would just seem to invite procrastination and laziness.

The bad part about this endeavor is that it's a shady part of the yard, especially in the evenings, when I'm sweating out aggression from a frustrating day at work. I learned early on that bugspray and jeans are necessary, but just figured out this last week that I really need to have something on my head, too. This is because I now have mosquito bites on my scalp. Itchy, painful bumps right on my noggin, like a half dozen of them. I really never would have never thought they'd be able to get through all my hair, but I guess I was wrong.

What else? It looks like my mom is finally actually truly going to move to Phoenix. She's aiming for September, which is not far away. I don't think I like that idea at all, but she says that's where God is leading her, blah blah blah...whatever.

This time next week I will have had my one year anniversary with my new job. I like it still, it's really challenging. And very busy, especially right now. But hopefully that will get better soon. Or I'll just get pregnant and will only have to wait out 9 more months, whichever...I've mentioned here and there how I would like to just not work, or just work part time, because I so feel like I'm just neglecting the house and taking care of my family, and Seth actually said one time that we could maybe think about it if the pregnancy thing takes longer than we're hoping (well, technically it already has...) Now I just have to keep my mouth shut because the last thing I want to do it annoy him into taking that off the table, because I would love it SO much! Just work half days or something and then have energy to work out and grocery shop and clean up and do all those home projects that I've been mentally listing out....maybe one day.

Weekend plans? Tonight is the Rock, also having Jim and Christine over (yay!). Tomorrow is the Rock 4th of July picnic and maybe going to my mom's afterward, Saturday is my sister in-law's 30th b-day, Sunday is painting extravaganza. I'm sure in there somewhere will be some sleep and fireworks or something. We've got the paint and colors and everything, I'm pretty excited.

Hmm, I thought there might have been more going on. Maybe that's just the mostly interesting stuff. Maybe next week I will have some news, maybe not. Mostly I've just been praying for God's will to be my will, it's definitely helped a lot.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

LOVE it, Ann -- you said, "...been praying for God's will to be my will...."

And, so I can keep up on how things are going, I added you to my blogroll! :)

GOD BLESS YOU!!!